There are no absolutes when being stopped or arrested by the police. The following are strong guidelines:
- Always remain calm
- Be polite
- Do Not argue
- Do Sign any ticket presented to you—this is not an admission of guilt, it is only an agreement to appear in court
- You have a right to remain silent—ONLY if you use it. So BE QUIET… The magic words are “Am I free to go?” If you don’t get an answer or the answer is no—assume you are under arrest
- Never admit to drinking. Do not lie but again, BE QUIET. Don’t expect the office to be pleasant if you refuse to answer but remember—this is your right. Admitting to police that you drank a beer is the same as admitting that you drank a case.
- Immediately furnish your drivers license, insurance card and concealed carry card if you have one
- If asked to get out of your car, Get Out with no comment
- The eye test, heel-to-toe test, stand on one foot, alphabet, finger to thumb, etc ….are not given to help you. They can only hurt. You ARE NOT required to participate in any of these tests
- You Are Not required to blow into a handheld device while on the roadside.
- Do Not consent to a search of your person or your car
- Do Not consent to towing your vehicle—instead release the officer of liability and request that it be locked and left in place
- The breath test does not have an absolute answer. A refusal limits any potential evidence against you in a trial but it will cause additional time on a potential restriction of your license if this is your first offense.
Request an Oklahoma Drivers Right Card
Request a glove box card “What To Do If Stopped by The Police”
Please submit our secure contact form below: