When you are charged with an Oklahoma DUI, you should immediately contact a DUI attorney to handle your case. But it is important to ask the right questions to find the right attorney to represent you before you decide who to work with. Below is a chart that you can print out and use when researching DUI law firms.
If you want a DUI attorney who is highly qualified and on the cutting edge of new defense strategies, he or she should answer “Yes” to each of these questions:
1. Are you one of the 47 attorneys nationwide who are Board Certified by the National College for DUI Defense, as provided by the American Bar Association’s Specialization? (There are only two such attorneys in the State of Oklahoma).
2. Were you the first DUI attorney in Oklahoma to be selected as a Super Lawyer and have you been selected each year since?
3. Are you Certified as an administrator and an instructor of Standardized Field Sobriety Tests?
4. Are you certified by the State of Oklahoma as an Intoxilyzer 8000 operator and maintenance supervisor?
5. Are you one of only six attorneys in the nation who own the newest breath machine, the Intoxilyzer 8000?
6. Have you ever attended the DUI Trial College conducted by the National College for DUI Defense, held at Harvard Law School? If so, when did you last attend?
7. Are you trained as a Drug Recognition Expert (DRE) to fight arrests for driving under the influence of prescription and/or illegal drugs?
8. Do you own multiple working and functioning Intoxilyzer 8000s to use in your client’s cases?
9. Do you have instant access to the most experienced DUI attorneys and experts in the nation?
10. Do you have successful trial experience in DUI defenses?
11. Do you have successful experience in fighting DUI blood tests?
12. Are you a Fellow in the Litigation Council of America representing less than 1/2 of 1% of the attorneys in the U.S.?
13. Have you published any books about DUI defense?
14. Do you teach attorneys and judges nationally/statewide about DUI?
15. Do you limit the number of cases you will accept each year so you can devote ample time to each of your clients?