Expungement Process in Oklahoma
A criminal record will follow a person and can block their path to a good job, housing, voting, travel and a fully normal life. Under certain circumstances, it may be possible for someone to get a fresh start through the process of expungement.
Getting a Fresh Start
Expungement is clearing your court record and arrest record. This is easiest to do when the charges were filed but dropped, a not guilty verdict was found, or when the judge gave a period after which it can be expunged in the sentencing. Convictions can be expunged, but only in highly specific circumstances.
- A petition for expungement must be prepared and filed.
- Filing fees must be paid.
- The proper documents and hearing orders must be circulated and approved by approximately 10 agencies.
- The motion must be argued in a hearing.
- If the court grants the expungement, all parties must sign the final order.
- Copies must be certified by the Court Clerk
These are a simplification of the steps, but they represent the basic process of filing for expungement.
You Need Legal Guidance
As you can probably tell, the process of expungement is a tricky one. It is technical and has many parts. The Edge Law Firm team can walk you through the process and help with every step.
If you are living with a criminal record, contact the Edge Law Firm to schedule a free review of your case.
Please submit our secure contact form below: